Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Communicating Effectively

Communication

Communication is defined as:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/communication

It is important to understand the underlying meaning of communication and its importance. Factors such as the audience and communication environment can have a positive or negative effect on the perception of the message being sent.  The sender of the message must also consider timing of the message being sent. For example, I have worked on projects where I have received pertinent information the day before a holiday break. This is why timing is so important. How much of that information was retained? My guess is none!

The richest communication medium in my perspective is in-person/ face-to-face. You are able to receive real time feedback and interaction. It is important to exercise and embrace the stakeholders preferred type of communication style. A key element that Dr. Stolovich pointed out to avoid is ambiguity.  Make sure the communication being sent is clear, concise, and effective.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2012). Communicating with Stakeholders. Baltimore, MD: Author.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany your posting provided some good insight for face-to-face, such as immediate feedback and interaction between the receiver and sender. I may have to take that in consideration. In my organization, I truly prefer email because that gives me a tracking receipt that I sent it. It does not mean the receiver received it or read it though.

    ~Chuck~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,

    After reading your post, the first question that came to mind was the topic of our blog assignment. Specifically, how did you interpret each method of communication? I realize that you believe face-to-face communication is most effective, but how did you respond to the content with the other two communication methods?

    When I went through the exercise, I realized that my own cultural differences also played a role in how I interpreted the intentions and motivations of the sender of the message. I think that this was a valuable activity to go through, as it made me think about how I communicate with others and the importance of choosing the appropriate communication method when delivering information (especially with cross-cultural communication).

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete