Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fitting the Pieces Together

As we come to the end of this class, we now have to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. Below is my initial post from May: 

Learning is a unique concept that is adaptable in many facades. Learning is not a one step process, its continuous throughout our lifetimes. From birth we are all susceptible to learning. There are different phases, styles, and methods to learning.  The first time that I really thought about how I learned is when I was introduced to the concepts auditory, visual, and kinesthetic. I think that I am a combination of all of them it just depends on what I am trying to learn.
As mentioned in the Ertmer and Newby article, there are certain strategies that can help facilitate learning and bridge the gap of the different learning styles. They also outlined the task of translating learning theory into practical applications. I can learn by both conventional and unconventional methods. For example, throughout my undergraduate career I took online and instructor lead classes. I chose to take instructor led classes for application course such as math and science because I knew that it would be best for me.  It was important for me to learner my own learning process. 
The theory that I can relate the most to is the cognitive theory. I like to learn by associating new concepts with past experiences. Understanding how certain concepts relate to my current goals and situations helps me to see the bigger picture. Overall, learning is a process that is specific to each person.    
References:
Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features from an Instructional Design Perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), by P. A. Ertmer & T. J. Newby. Copyright 1993 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Journals.

 As we end this class, I will now reflect upon that post: 

 

My view upon learning has not changed. I still do believe that learning is not a one step process and there is not a "one size fits" all method to facilitating learning. However, throughout this instructional period I have reflected upon my personal learning style and I can see how it related to the cognitive and constructivism theories. I would also say that my learning is adaptable. As I have mentioned several times throughout this course, I prefer a tradtional classroom environment but I have recently adopted the e-learning concept. 

Technology plays a very important role in my life when it comes to learning. Right now I am currently using a laptop to complete this assignment, and without this device I would not have been able to complete the last couple of years of work or school. I use technology (the internet) minutely throughout my day. Working for a technology consulting firm, I cannot be biased toward new technologies because I would ultimately be out of a job.  I learn new ideas, concepts, and techniques through technology. Being under the age of 25, life before modern technology is becoming a blur to me. This is why I am fascinated with learning the latest and greatest when it comes to life, learning, and technology. 

3 comments: